It would be nice if everyone had a smile they liked. But factors like genetics, injuries, and oral care can all affect how one’s smile looks. Sometimes, getting the smile you want can take more than one procedure. But there are instances where achieving the smile you have always wanted can be as simple as having just a single- or perhaps a couple- of your teeth reshaped. That’s where cosmetic dentistry plays a key role in rebuilding your smile.
Teeth reshaping is a cosmetic procedure to remove small portions of tooth enamel. The process reshapes cracked, chipped, or crooked teeth. Your dentist has specialized tools designed to enhance your tooth’s shape. It is an in-office procedure and is nearly -if not totally- painless.
Who Can Have Dental Contouring?
Tooth or gum reshaping works for any patient, regardless of age. However, it is more common for teens or adults as they no longer have baby teeth. Teeth reshaping is most used for the following situations:
- Small cracks or chips in teeth
- When there are pits or bulges in tooth enamel
- When a tooth is especially long or more pointed
- To correct an uneven smile
- For very minor tooth misalignment
- Correcting overgrown gums which hide healthy teeth
Benefits of Cosmetic Dentistry- Contouring and Reshaping Teeth
- Tooth reshaping is permanent– It is a one-time procedure with no follow-up. It won’t revert to what things once were. However, it does require you to be vigilant in caring for your teeth to prevent enamel loss.
- No pain – While there are some dental procedures that one may associate with being painful, tooth reshaping is a painless process. You don’t need pain medication or localized anesthesia at any point before, during, or after. As such, you can resume normal eating and drinking following your appointment.
- Prevent gum disease – Contouring changes the overhangs and anatomy of the teeth. In doing this, the spaces where plaque buildup can occur are fewer. With a lower risk of plaque buildup, gum disease is less likely.
- Avoid braces – It is not a solution to every tooth alignment problem. But, sometimes, using tooth contouring can override the need for braces.
- Cost-effective – Of cosmetic dental practices, tooth reshaping is one of the most affordable.
- Long-lasting – While the longevity of teeth reshaping is affected by how well you take care of your teeth and how much enamel your dentist may need to remove, contouring can last for years.
Having a smile you are happy with makes a big difference in your confidence. So, if looking in the mirror brings a frown, perhaps a chat with our dental team is on the agenda. If you want to learn more about teeth reshaping and contouring, please don’t hesitate to ask. Cosmetic dentistry may be the answer for you. We can assess your teeth and determine the best option(s) for getting you the smile you have always wanted. Reach out to McCracken Family Dentistry and talk to us today.